The campo.

Scuola Grande di San Marco and Church of the SS. Giovanni e Paolo.

Equestrian statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni by Verrocchio

Well-curb.
search | map
| home
ita | fra | eng | esp
contact us | copyright

Related Topics

Video Gallery

No video

Photo Gallery

immagine didascalia

The campo.


immagine didascalia

Scuola Grande di San Marco and Church of the SS. Giovanni e Paolo.


immagine didascalia

Equestrian statue of Bartolomeo Colleoni by Verrocchio


immagine didascalia

Well-curb.



Campo Santi Giovanni e Paolo

Campo dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo is one of the largest squares in Venice. Owing to its beauty and monumental dimensions, it is also called the  “campo delle meraviglie” (square of marvels). The Venetians also call it Campo San Zanipolo, the result of a typical contraction of the names in the local dialect. The square is dominated by the impressive brick façade of the Gothic church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo, famous for  its large collection of tombs that provide a complete spectrum of the evolution of Venetian sculpture. Near the church are marble ornaments decorating the Renaissance building of the old Scuola Grande di San Marco, now the civic hospital. A large equestrian monument sits in the centre of the square, the work of the Florentine sculptor Andrea Del Verrocchio .

Sitting on a base of polychrome marble, this monument is bronze statue more than 3 and a half metres high, dedicated to Bartolomeo Colleoni, a captain from the city of Bergamo who died in 1475 while serving the Serenissima.


1100 - 1200  -   CASTELLO - rev. 0.1.7

[-A] [+A]

Venice and its lagoons

World Heritage, a dialogue between cultures: which future?

credits | help