The campo.

The market.
search | map
| home
ita | fra | eng | esp
contact us | copyright

Related Topics

no schede

Video Gallery

No video

Photo Gallery

immagine didascalia

The campo.


immagine didascalia

The market.



Campo Santa Margherita

Campo Santa Margherita takes its name from the old church of Santa Margherita consecrated in 853.
Today it is used for the fish and herb market.

Originally, there was a hospital for the poor founded by Maddalena Scrovegni belonging to a rich noble family from Padua in this area then known as the Fondamenta della Scoazzera , as can be seen from a stone inscription.
The square contains some good examples of Venetian homes from the 14th and 15th Centuries, plus two elegant wells built in 1529 and a bell-tower that used to be higher than that of St. Mark’s, but was later literally halved in height. The small palace of the Scuola dei Varoteri (1725) sits in the middle of the square. The square assumed its current shape in the second half of the 1800s when many of the canals flowing into it were covered over.

Campo Santa Margherita today is one of the most lively and dynamic squares in Venice, thanks to its many bars and restaurants and the Santa Margherita Auditorium.


400 - 1000  -   DORSODURO - rev. 0.1.5

[-A] [+A]

Venice and its lagoons

World Heritage, a dialogue between cultures: which future?

credits | help