Campo of the Abbey.

Old School of the Mercy

Church of the Abbey.
search | map
| home
ita | fra | eng | esp
contact us | copyright

Related Topics

Video Gallery

No video

Photo Gallery

immagine didascalia

Campo of the Abbey.


immagine didascalia

Old School of the Mercy


immagine didascalia

Church of the Abbey.



Campo de l’Abbazia

A truly beautiful square, yet relatively unfrequented by Venetians standards, the Campo dell’Abbazia hardly ever sees any tourists. The square still has its original brick paving and is flanked by the church of Abbazia della Misericordia and the Scuola Vecchia della Misericordia.

The church, also known as Santa Maria di Val Verde, was originally built together with the abbey next-door fu in the 10th Century and later rebuilt in the 13th Century.
The façade was given a new look in 1659 by and at the expense of Gaspare Moro. It is adorned with statues by Clemente Moli and a bas-relief depicting the Madonna and Child by the fourteenth-century school.

Next to the church, in the left-hand corner, is the Scuola Vecchia di Santa Maria della Misericordia, built in 1310 and extended several times over the centuries.
Its Gothic façade (1400) contains two angels above the portal and the remains of a relief by  Bartolomeo Bon, now held in the Victoria Museum in London.
In the 1500s, the School was the headquarters for the Venetian silk weavers’ association.


400 - 1000  -   CANNAREGGIO - rev. 0.1.6

[-A] [+A]

Venice and its lagoons

World Heritage, a dialogue between cultures: which future?

credits | help