The bridge to Campo San Pantalon.

The Church of San Pantalon and its unfinished façade.

Martyrdom and apotheosis of San Pantalon by Giovanni A. Fumiani.
search | map
| home
ita | fra | eng | esp
contact us | copyright

Related Topics

Video Gallery

No video

Photo Gallery

immagine didascalia

The bridge to Campo San Pantalon.


immagine didascalia

The Church of San Pantalon and its unfinished façade.


immagine didascalia

Martyrdom and apotheosis of San Pantalon by Giovanni A. Fumiani.



San Pantalon

Behind the palace of the "Scuola di San Rocco" is the Church of San Pantaleone (known to the Venetians as “San Pantalon”).
The date of the original church is unknown. It was rebuilt by the Giordani family in 1009, under Doge Ottone Orseolo. The church was later renovated in the 13th Century and consecrated in the early 1300s. It was again rebuilt in 1686 to a model by Francesco Comino.

The church has a single nave and an unfinished simple brick façade in strong contrast with the extravagance of its rich Baroque interior. An Incoronation (1444) by Giovanni D’Alemagna and Antonio Vivarini adorns the chapel of the Sacro Chiodo (Holy Nail). The spectacular ceiling is a masterpiece by Giovanni Antonio Fumiani, often called “il Fumoso” on account of his wide use of dark smoky colours: there are more than 60 individual paintings joined together to form a single huge canvas (1680-1704).
The church also contains works by Paolo VenezianoPaolo Veronese and Palma il giovane.


1100 - 1200  -   DORSODURO - rev. 0.1.7

[-A] [+A]

Venice and its lagoons

World Heritage, a dialogue between cultures: which future?

credits | help