Palazzo Vendramin Calergi on the Canal Grande.
search | map
| home
ita | fra | eng | esp
contact us | copyright

Related Topics

Video Gallery

No video

Photo Gallery

immagine didascalia

Palazzo Vendramin Calergi on the Canal Grande.



Palazzo Vendramin Calergi

A splendid Venetian palace on Canal Grande, it was built around 1500 by Mauro Codussi, the first architect to use the Renaissance style in Venice. The palace takes its name from one of its original owners, Vittorio Calergi, and his descendants, the Vendramin family.
The palace was extended in the 1600s with the construction of the so-called “white wing” forming the border of the gardens.

The façade is split into three with a double loggia, giving it a harmonious and complete character. In 1882 the composer Richard Wagner stayed here, working on the score of his Parsifal until his death on 13th February 1883.
A stone plaque by Gabriele d’Annunzio in the façade commemorates this great composer, with an inscription at the bottom by the Duke of Brunswick: “non nobis domine”.

Today Ca' Vendramin Calergi is home to the Casinò Municipale di Venezia, making it one of the world’s most beautiful casinos.


1500  -   CANNAREGIO - rev. 0.1.8

[-A] [+A]

Venice and its lagoons

World Heritage, a dialogue between cultures: which future?

credits | help