It takes its name from the old "Accademia di Pittura" (Academy of Painting), founded in 1750 by the master painter Piazzetta. In 1756 the Republic granted it official recognition and renamed it the "Accademia di Belle Arti" (Academy of Fine Arts), directed by Giambattista Tiepolo.
In its early days, the Accademia played a somewhat marginal role in the artistic life of the city: it was only under Napoleon that it became an important entity: the collections held in the “Galleria”, a public museum since 1807, were enriched with works of art taken from suppressed churches, monasteries and convents, plus bequeaths and private donations.
The Gallerie dell'Accademia is now an important collection of Venetian paintings from the 16th-18th Centuries, including several by some of the most famous painters to have worked in Venice: Giovanni Bellini, Gentile Bellini, Giorgione, Vittore Carpaccio, Tiziano, Tintoretto, Paolo Veronese and Tiepolo.
1800 - 2000 - DORSODURO - rev. 0.1.7