The Scuola next to the Chiesa dei SS. Giovanni e Paolo.

Statues on the front.

The side on the canal.
search | map
| home
ita | fra | eng | esp
contact us | copyright

Related Topics

Video Gallery

No video

Photo Gallery

immagine didascalia

The Scuola next to the Chiesa dei SS. Giovanni e Paolo.


immagine didascalia

Statues on the front.


immagine didascalia

The side on the canal.


no map

Scuola Grande di San Marco

The Scuole were institutions recognised by the Council of Ten, the body with delegated powers to regulate the associations called confraternities within the Republic of the Serenissima.


The purpose of these confraternities was to carry out charitable or religious works, encourage the civic cult and enhance arts and crafts.

The "Scuola di San Marco" was set up in 1260, though the palace used as its headquarters dates back to the late 1400s after a large fire destroyed the previous building. The new palace was built by Pietro Lombardo and completed by Mauro Codussi. Lombardo’s fine knowledge of marble and some highly skilled stone masons resulted in an ornate façade and interesting interiors.

From the 16th Century until the end of the Republic many of the best artists in Venice were members of the association, including Giovanni Bellini, Gentile Bellini, TintorettoPalma il Vecchio, adding to its fame and fortunes and often donating some marvellous paintings in the name of St. Mark.


1300 - 1400  -   CASTELLO - rev. 0.1.5

[-A] [+A]

Venice and its lagoons

World Heritage, a dialogue between cultures: which future?

credits | help